If you have been following me for a while you will know I suffer from mental health issues. I have never hidden this, In fact, this blog was started as an outlet for me, when I was going through a very dark period in my health. I struggle with depression and anxiety.
I want to talk today about telehealth, This term gets branded about but how many of us really know what it means? We live in a fast-paced world, where everything is accessed via the internet. Did you know you can get health care through the internet? Yes, everything is now available to us via the touch of a button and one of the best parts of this is for people like me who suffer from mental health problems. We all know we can reorder prescriptions online and who hasn't googled their symptom before bothering the doctor. ( I do not recommend this) But there are so many resources available to us now than ever before.
I know when I was suffering from anxiety leaving my house was a huge issue for me and this would be the perfect solution to that. Not only that but they have thousands of helpful articles on their site for you to have a read through. They have everything from articles about depression and anxiety to different types of therapy it is a wonderful free resource to utilise. I know I will be using it.
The reason an online counsellor is better?
1. You can talk to them from the comfort of your own home.
2. You will have access to someone who specialises in your mental health problem.
3. No waitlists. You will be able to get an appointment when you need it.
4. Individual needs, If you would prefer to chat with a counsellor via webcam you can or if you prefer
to messages this is also an option. I know face to face meeting can be intimidating. So this will elevate those concerns.
5. Less clinical. I know this one seems strange but I know the clinical feel around medical practices can be off-putting. I know I feel more comfortable in an environment I know.
6. More affordable, Prices for therapy can be through the roof these days but going down the online route will help you save money.
7. More access, Online counselling is accessible to anyone who has an internet connection. This is fantastic for people like me who live very rurally. My nearest councillor would be a hours drive or more.
8. More privacy. I know this one always concerned me, I live in a small community and I worried about everyone knowing I was receiving counselling. I am not embarrassed but it added to my anxiety.
The first step to getting help is always the hardest. If you are struggling, do not hesitate to book in for an appointment to get some help. I am a huge advocate of counselling and without it, I would not be the person I am today. There is no shame in getting help if anything it shows how strong you are. We only get one life lets live it to its best.