How are you all?
Today I wanted to talk to you all about driving offences. I am asked about this a lot. When people find out you used to be a police officer you get strange questions. I thought I would share a lesser know offence with you.
If you ever are in the unfortunate position to commit an offence or crime make sure you get great legal advice I recommend DPP solicitors. They have a huge range of experience and give honest reliable advice. Also, seek a good Solicitor they are worth their weight in gold.
I wonder how many you will know and how many will be a complete surprise.
1. Police have the right to require you to produce the following your driving license valid insurance certificate, a valid MOT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
2. It is an offence to not be improper control of your vehicle. I.e leaving it running when you are not within. Yes, That means when you are de-icing your car.
The wording is no person shall leave or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is unattended by the licensed driver unless the engine is stopped and the parking brake is set. this does not apply to police, ambulance or fire. or if the engine is needed to drive machinery etc.
This was one of my pet hates seeing a car full of children and their parents outside the car engine on keys in the ignition. Just don't do it.
3. it is an offence to have worn or frayed seat belts. Yio if there are threads out of the seat belt it must be replaced.
The wording. seat belt material the webbing or other material which forms the seat belt shall be maintained free from cuts or other visible faults which would likely to adversely affect performance.
You wouldn't believe how many older cars have frayed seat belts.
4. If you are unfortunate to hit and kill the following animals you must report it to the police within 24hours. But it is always better to do it at the earliest opportunity. You do not need to report any other animal. But I would always let your local station know if you hit a big animal like deer too.
Horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, goat or dog
5. It is an offence to not have your current address on your driving license. This means the address where you live. Not your mum and dads where you lived as a child. Where you pay the bills. It is estimated that 7% of the UK have the wrong address on there driving license. It is free to change your address and you can now do it online so there really is no excuse.
So do you know all of these offences? Have I surprised you?