What is mental health?
It is our emotional, Psychological and social well being. It can affect everything from how we feel to how we think and act. I can affect you at any stage of your life. It is how we handle situations, Make choices and act towards other people. It can even have physical effects on your body.
What causes mental health problems?
Good question this has been asked a hundred times by people more intelligent than me but some say it is caused by life experiences such as a trauma. or it could be caused by biological factors such as our brain chemistry or family history of mental illness.
What to watch out for? (signs and symptoms.)
- Having low energy
- Feeling low or having no feelings at all
- feeling helpless or hopeless
- sleeping too much or not at all.
- eating or drinking too much or not at all.
- Going from being social to pulling away from people.
- Feeling confused, mind fog, on edge, upset basically feeling, not like you.
- mood swings going from happy to sad. find to angry.
- having thought that spiral round and round on a loop you can't get rid of
- thinking of harming yourself or others.
- unexplained aches and pains.
- Lack of interest in things you like doing
- hearing voices
- inability to perform daily tasks.
There are of course a lot more and everyone is different this is not a checklist.
Some people will tick only one of these boxes, some will tick more. Mental health and mental illness in different for everyone. There are more symptoms people can suffer but these are a few to look at.
One of the most important things to look out for is a change in the person. Has someone gone from outgoing to quite an introvert? Has someone who is normally reserved turned in to a party animal?
Just take note of the people around you. Ask are you ok? Not in a throwaway question. Sit the person down and have a real conversation. talking to people is always better than shying away from the problem.
What to do if you or your loved one is showing signs of Mental illness.
- Contact your GP
- Contact a professional. This can be an online therapist or in person. Whatever you decide to do get the therapy you need.
- Try a meditation I used to use youtube to find guided meditations.
- Tell people. Telling someone that you are struggling with is a great step.
- Get out in the fresh air. I am not saying in a crowded place but even your back garden can help
- Take up fitness. This is great to take your mind off things.
- write things down. Making a list or getting things down on paper can help you see what's going on.
No matter what you do get help. You are not alone. You are special and you deserve to be helped through this tough time in your life.